On the map of our heritage walking tour, the reference number of this structure is 8
One of the oldest church in the region, the United Church on King Street, was originally a Presbyterian Church. It was built in 1832-1836 by William Moody under the direction of Rev. M McLaurin of the Church of Scotland.
When Rev. McLaurin died, the church had not yet been completed due to a lack of funds. The trustees of the church, the Honourable Alexander Grant, William Waits, Charles Platt Treadwell, John W. Marston and Peter Sterling, all contributed largely to its funding.
Its original steeple topping the existing tower was destroyed by fire in 1920. Until its closing in the early 2000s, the church was open for services during the summer months only as the heating system was not adequate. Although it is now private property, the interior is faithful to the past with old wooden pews and padded kneeling stools.