On the map of our heritage walking tour, the reference number of this structure is 17
The first Catholic church was built in stone in 1829 but was demolished some years later, having been deemed unstable. In 1851, Father Bourassa, then in charge of the parish, drew a plan for a nw church building and physically worked on its construction.
His successor, A. Bouvier, arranged for the completion of the interior. The church was decorated in 1929 by T.X.Renaud, a church painter well-known in Quebec, Ontario and the United States. The church in L'Orignal was recognized as one of the most beautiful churches in the diocese at the time. Four priests are buried in the crypt.
This parish was the third to be created in Ontario and was officially established in 1901. It was successively part of the dioceses of Quebec, Kingston and Ottawa.