On the map of our heritage walk, the reference number of this structure is 1
The Court House and jail made L'Orignal an important centre in Ontario. Built in the neo-classical loyalist style, this is the oldest existing court house in Ontario and its adjacent jail was in use until 1998. After the creation of the Ottawa District in 1816, quarterly court hearings were held in the township of Longueuil.
In 1824, Jacob Marston donated a piece of land for the usage of the court. The central section of the court was built by the contractors McDonald and Beckworth in 1825. The building was enlarged, particularly in 1861-1862.
Five prisonners were hanged at the jail, the last two in 1933. Three prisoners escaped.... to enjoy a year of freedom.