On the map of our heritage walking tour, the reference number of this structure is 6
Navigation on the Ottawa River is intimately linked to the history of L'Orignal and its surrounding. The landing, built in 1856 by engineer William Lendrum, was extended by 1300 feet 5 years later. This was the longest wharf between Ottawa and Montreal.
L'Orignal became a maritime port where ships could stop, moor and embark or disembark passengers and merchandise. A stagecoach transported passengers to and from the Grand Hotel in Caledonia Springs, a few kilometers south-west of the village.
The wharf was demolished in 1940 and dynamited in 1962 when the Carillon Dam was built. The Township of Champlain now operates a marina for the benefit of owners of pleasure crafts and fishermen.