An oasis of calm and tranquility, L’Orignal is a small village with ancestral charm just waiting to be discovered. Located in Eastern Ontario, L’Orignal is the site of the historic Old Jail, many authentic heritage homes as well as Ontario’s oldest court of justice, still in use.
Former seigniory in Upper Canada and headquarters of the United Counties of Prescott and Russell, L’Orignal occupies a prime location on the south shore of the Ottawa River, facing the Lower Laurentians.
Mid-way between Ottawa and Montreal, its marina is a perfect stopping point for boaters on the Ottawa River and anyone involved in sport fishing.
A campground, four parks and a beautifully appointed beach offer a number of sports attractions. Over time, L’Orignal has become a real hub for solo, family and group cycling enthusiasts!
L’Orignal has been part of the Township of Champlain since 1998, year of the amalgamation of the municipalities of L’Orignal, Longueuil, West Hawkesbury and Vankleek Hill.
Colonized from the early 1800s and established as a parish in 1836, L’Orignal officially became a village in 1876.
L’Orignalaise et L’Orignalais